Thursday 14 May 2009

High Speed Sync

Hi Speed sync off camera,

Ok I found this by accident and it has become a very useful tool in my lighting. Tricking an off camera flash, be it a small hot shoe or a larger power pack strobe into high speed sync. I only know this works with Nikon, sorry all you Cannon shooters.

What you need:-

Camera, obviously!! Works with my D700 or D300 no problems and should work with any Nikon that has the Auto (FP) setting option in the camera.

SB800 Flash. I use the SB800 because, I have one and it’s got an external PC port.

A pair of pocket wizards. This does not work with the cheaper Chinese radio triggers, sorry but it just doesn’t.

An external flash that could be another hot shoe, or an AlienBee or an Elenchrom Ranger (if you have one I either hate you or love you, but only if you’ll lend it to me!!)

Ok, put your Nikon into High speed FP sync mode in the menu (that’s the flash, bracketing menu)

Put your SB800 on the camera in TTL mode and it will tell you it has gone into FP mode automatically.

Now comes the trick bit!!

Connect a PW via the camera flash port to the SB800. Take another PW and attach normally to the off camera flash you want to fire. Set your off camera flash to full power and bingo!! It syncs at whatever speed you want it to!!

I find it a great addition for adding some nice fill on a very sunny day, or stopping some fast motion. I know Nikons CLS will do the same, but it just does not have the range or work that well in very sunny weather for me.

Don’t ask me how it works, I don’t know.

Disclaimer- I have used this method on my cameras and not had a problem. If you fry a camera, flash or anything else trying this, don’t blame me.
Set up pics and test pics to follow.

Cheers,
Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment